|HearOne Wireless Smart Earbuds|
For the last couple of years I have been watching the start-up, Doppler Labs, as they developed their earbuds that were purported to have great sound, but also to enhance hearing. This month after reading about their latest software release, I ordered a pair to try. There were three reasons I wanted to try Doppler Labs' HearOne Wireless Smart Earbuds. First because their goal was to enhance hearing for a few hundred dollars, rather than for many thousands of dollars that the hearing aid industry charges, secondly, they were building artificial intelligence (AI) into their earbuds, and thirdly, I could listen to premium audio and talk on my phone with them.
When I first received the earbuds, the instructions led me through a series of hearing tests using the earbuds and my iPhone. The results were then used to adjust all sounds coming into my left and right ears so my hearing would be an enhanced, balanced and accurately augmented. I could immediately hear many sounds around my home and office that had previously escaped me - a mixed blessing.
Here is how the earbuds work. The earbuds intercept all sound, analyzes and filters it, then passes the augmented sounds to my ears in near real-time. The results are impressive. Filters reduce or eliminated what I didn't want to hear and enhances what I did. They also have digital noise filters for places like subways, cities, buses, restaurants, crowds, etc., and promise to deliver more pre-configured filters. Here is where it really gets cool. I can also geofence digital noise filters. I can apply a filter to a specific physical location and save it. The next time I arrive at that particular destination the noise filter and sound enhancement will automatically be applied using AI. I can walk around my neighborhood or go shopping and the sounds coming into my ears are personalized for me. Very nice! There is no need for me to accept all random sounds and noise pollution. I can now control, eliminate or enhance sounds. I can control, configure and augment my sound experiences.
In addition to sound filters, I can manually adjust all incoming sounds using the Doppler Labs smartphone app. It allows me to enhance live music and other sounds to the volume and filter level that suite my preferences. If you have kids, you never again need to hear them.
There is even more artificial intelligence. I can tap my earbuds and access the knowledge of the world through Siri and other supported AI systems. I can now be a trivia star anywhere where I have a wireless network connection!
Nothing is perfect, however. I found two problems with the HearOne earbuds. The battery life today is only a couple of hours, although Doppler Labs said upcoming software updates will extend that. I guess I don't need to be at a Cocktail Hour, longer than two anyway. The second, is the crackle of wind in the six directional sound receivers in each earbud. These sound receivers help you enhance sounds in front, to the side and behind you. If you are driving a car and having a conversation with kids in the back seat, it is great to enhance the voices behind you or not, but in the wind, they crackle. Applying the city sound filter eliminated 90% of the crackling, but more work can be done to reduce the crackling when you are jogging or walking in the breeze.
Overall, a thumbs up experience, and I am excited to add more bionics and other augmentations to my seasoned humanity.
Read more from the Center for Digital Intelligence here:
- Competition, Artificial Intelligence and Balloons
- Artificial Intelligence, Combined Actions and Digital Strategies
- 7 Imperatives for Thriving During Digital Transformation
- What Artificial Intelligence Can Teach Us
- Speed as a Competitive Advantage in Digital Transformation
- Culture as a Competitive Advantage in Digital Transformation
- Digital Technologies and the Compression of both Time and Distance
- Patterns, Platforms and Automation
- Making the Hard Decisions in Digital Transformation
- Center for Digital Intelligence Interviews: Hitachi's Rob Tiffany on Industrial IoT
- Digital Transformation and the New Rules for Start-Ups
- Digital Transformation and Leadership Development
- Digital Transformation and Competitive Decision-Making
- Combinatorial Nature of Digital Technologies and Legos
- Digital Transformation from 40,000 feet
- Winning in Chaos - Digital Leaders
- 13 Recommended Actions for Digital Transformation in Retail
- Mistakes in Retail Digital Transformation
- Winning Strategies for the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Digital Transformation - Mindset Differences
- Analyzing Retail Through Digital Lenses
- Digital Thinking and Beyond!
- Measuring the Pace of Change in the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- How Digital Thinking Separates Retail Leaders from Laggards
- To Bot, or Not to Bot
- Oils, Bots, AI and Clogged Arteries
- Artificial Intelligence Out of Doors in the Kingdom of Robots
- How Digital Leaders are Different
- The Three Tsunamis of Digital Transformation - Be Prepared!
- Bots, AI and the Next 40 Months
- You Only Have 40 Months to Digitally Transform
- Digital Technologies and the Greater Good
- Video Report: 40 Months of Hyper-Digital Transformation
- Report: 40 Months of Hyper-Digital Transformation
- Virtual Moves to Real in with Sensors and Digital Transformation
- Technology Must Disappear in 2017
- Merging Humans with AI and Machine Learning Systems
- In Defense of the Human Experience in a Digital World
- Profits that Kill in the Age of Digital Transformation
- Competing in Future Time and Digital Transformation
- Digital Hope and Redemption in the Digital Age
- Digital Transformation and the Role of Faster
- Digital Transformation and the Law of Thermodynamics
- Jettison the Heavy Baggage and Digitally Transform
- Digital Transformation - The Dark Side
- Business is Not as Usual in Digital Transformation
- 15 Rules for Winning in Digital Transformation
- The End Goal of Digital Transformation
- Digital Transformation and the Ignorance Penalty
- Surviving the Three Ages of Digital Transformation
- The Advantages of an Advantage in Digital Transformation
- From Digital to Hyper-Transformation
- Believers, Non-Believers and Digital Transformation
- Forces Driving the Digital Transformation Era
- Digital Transformation Requires Agility and Energy Measurement
- A Doctrine for Digital Transformation is Required
- Digital Transformation and Its Role in Mobility and Competition
- A Revolution in Precision Through IoT, Analytics and Mobility
- Competing in Digital Transformation and Mobility
- Ambiguity and Digital Transformation
- Digital Transformation and Mobility - Macro-Forces and Timing
- Mobile and IoT Technologies are Inside the Curve of Human Time
Principal Analyst, Futurist, the Center for Digital Intelligence™
View my profile on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter @krbenedict
Subscribe to Kevin's YouTube Channel
Join the Linkedin Group Strategic Enterprise Technologies
Join the Google+ Community Mobile Enterprise Strategies
***Full Disclosure: These are my personal opinions. No company is silly enough to claim them. I work with and have worked with many of the companies mentioned in my articles.